A Plaque To Commemorate Our First Scottish Cup Final In 1877.
On the 17th March 1877 Rangers played our first ever Scottish Cup Final against Vale of Leven at Hamilton Crescent in Partick, the match ended 1-1.
A replay was also played at the cricket ground which also finished 1-1, that game went into extra time and was abandoned amid controversial circumstances.
Vale eventually won the Scottish Cup at First Hampden 3-2.
This was a Rangers team of youngsters going toe to toe with the mighty Vale.
It was this series of games that saw the transformation of the Rangers from what was essentially a boys club born at Fleshers Haugh only five years earlier to a respected football club one which caught the imagination and admiration of the Glasgow working class this is something that the Club never lost.
The Rangers were never to look back.
With this in mind we recently approached the committee at West of Scotland Cricket Club with a view to having a commemorative plaque placed on their pavilion wall celebrating this wonderful achievement.
We’re delighted to say that our proposal was given full approval.
We took delivery of the plaque this week and a date for the unveiling will be advised accordingly.
*This is the third in a series of plaques that we are hoping to have placed around the country highlighting locations linked to our incredible story, previously we’ve had plaques placed at Fleshers Haugh and Penarth.*