125 Years Ago Today.
After years of disappointment the Rangers eventually got their hands on the Scottish Cup on 17th February 1894 after beating Celtic 3-1 at Hampden.
They were presented with the Cup in the Alexandra Hotel which stood at No. 148 Bath Street which today is the Pure Gym Centre.
We have to bear in mind that the winning of the Scottish Cup in 1894 was still the pinnacle achievement for all Clubs, as the Scottish League was still very much in its infancy Rangers legend Tom Vallance( who is pictured standing on the back row) had this to say on the milestone reached by the Club, he wrote in the Scottish Sport.
“It is with a true sense of delight that those who have followed the varying fortunes of the Rangers since their formation can now see their triumph, their name and fame shining throughout the land with a luster that they never before approached”.
Tom presented each Rangers player with a gold scarf pin to commemorate this milestone in the Club’s history.
Tom is pictured here with the proud Rangers Committee.
Pictured with the victorious Rangers team is trainer John Taylor who’s unmarked grave we recently located in Craigton Cemetery.
Mr Taylor’s plot will be restored as part of our Restoration of Rangers Graves Project.