1887 - 1899
The move along the Paisley Road to Ibrox was met with much surprise by the citizens of Glasgow as we were moving so far out of the city. An incredible thought due to today's extensive transport network.
Old Ibrox was situated just a few yards from our current location. The new ground which had a 300 foot long Grandstand and a Pavilion in the corner had an overall capacity of 15,000. Tom Vallance held a cake and wine party for guests to show off our new home.
Our opening match was against Preston Invincibles and saw us lose 8-1. While situated here we won our first League Championship in 1891 which we shared with Dumbarton. This season also saw the first home tie with Celtic which we lost 2-1. We also won our first Scottish Cup beating Celtic 3-1 at Hampden in 1894.
The Rangers were now truly on their way.
Our first outright League Championship win was secured during season 1898-99, when we won every one of our 18 League games played. A World Record. During this season the Rangers became a Limited Company. The Board recognised that 1st Ibrox was too small for the increasing support and the Club's ambitions so the decision was taken to move a few yards to our current location.