Search
  • Vallance

Plaque Placed To Commemorate Our First Scottish Cup Final In 1877.


Plaque Placed To Commemorate Our First Scottish Cup Final In 1877.

On the 17th March 1877 Rangers played our first ever Scottish Cup Final against Vale of Leven at Hamilton Crescent in Partick, the match ended 1-1.

A replay was also played at the cricket ground which also finished 1-1, that game went into extra time and was abandoned amid controversial circumstances.

Vale eventually won the Scottish Cup at First Hampden 3-2.

This was a Rangers team of youngsters going toe to toe with the mighty Vale.

It was this series of games that saw the transformation of the Rangers from what was essentially a boys club, born on Fleshers Haugh only five years earlier, to a respected football club one which caught the imagination and admiration of the Glasgow public this is something that the Club never lost.

The Rangers were never to look back.

With this in mind we approached the committee at West of Scotland Cricket Club with a view to having a commemorative plaque placed on their pavilion wall celebrating this wonderful achievement.

We’re delighted to say that our proposal was given full approval and the plaque is now in place.

We’d like to thank:

John Thomson at West of Scotland CC.

Grant McIndoe

Andy Smillie of AS Scaffolding

Davie Calderwood of Elite Worktops

Domenico’s Memorials


28 views

0790 2855536

Glasgow, UK

©2016 BY THE FOUNDERS TRAIL. PROUDLY CREATED WITH WIX.COM